Re: [tlug] WINDOWS

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:57:36 +0900, Nick Bikkal <nickbikkal@example.com>
wrote:

> Sorry to bring up an irrelevant OS :) but I'd like to ask if there's
> anyone who knows that I can do to for a scratched Windows XP
> Professional? Do you know if Microsoft would give me a new one? Can I
> download a version and burn it on to a CD? I have the original and the
> number, just need it as a backup.

If you're within the EU, law allows you to make a copy of an original CD as
a personal backup. I'm guessing (you'd need to get *real* legal advice to
be on the safe side) if you could copy someone else's CD-ROM and claim you'd
copied your own before it was scratched, you'd be ok.

If you're elsewhere, the chances are you need to buy another licence in
order to be legal.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

You can't block a port with software that runs on the same machine where
the attacks are aimed. That's like trying to stop bullets by shoving
Kevlar up your backside. By the time the bullet hits the Kevlar, the
damage has been done.
        -- Morely 'Spam is theft' Dotes in NANAE, 13-AUG-2003