Re: '㏄' versus 'cc' and '㎍' versus 'µg' usage [tlug]

Michal Hajek wrote:
... so I asked the friend (engine researcher) and he claims that here
in Europe (GB excluded) even two characters eg. 'cc' are not used.
People stick to SI units. I do not know about Great Britan though.

Best regards
Michal

There's huge confusion going on here. Two entirely different conversations:

(1) About what names people use for units: for example is 1/1000 of a litre a 'cc' (cubic centimetre) or an 'ml' (millilitre). Etc etc. This was not the original question at all.

(2) About Unicode (pseudo-)characters which are in fact a sequence of ordinary characters (like 'cc') pretending to be a single character. I don't know about Chinese or Korean (which are also 'tofu' printing systems), but these are certainly common in Japanese. They exist because the unit of (traditional, molten metal) printing uses a large "character box" as its unit - large enough to hold an elaborate kanji. These abbreviations (or SI symbols, makes no difference to topic (2)) can easily fit into a single "character box", so old-fashioned hand typesetting used slugs of type with 'cm' 'kg' (or 'Kg' in Japanese), or 'degrees-C' on them, and slightly less old-fashioned character sets (JIS-xxx, of 20-30 years ago) also assigned two-byte character codes to them. Therefore they are in Unicode.

Unicode is not supposed to be a rationally designed character set, containing vast amounts of junk - rather it's simply intended to provide mappings from all National characters sets, where much of this junk is seen as a National Treasure.

Brian Chandler
http://imaginatorium.org