Re: [tlug] 64bit is faster than 32bit

An author of the graphic library GraphicsMagick says[1] 64 bit AMD is 30% faster than 32 bit. Is that true?

Ya first gotta ask: "Faster for what".

If they're doing lots of high-precision math, I can believe 64-bit could have an edge. The product I work on at my day job has been benchmarked on 32-bit and 64-bit machines and the 64-bit version is slower. The reason, according to our in-house experts, is that the larger word size makes cache misses more frequent (for the same size cache, of course). There's probably also a penalty for loading the executable (since all pointers will take up twice the space) but I've never heard anyone claim that as
a significant factor. Raw performance is such a hot button in my field that I'm pretty sure the code generation gurus would have squeezed more performance out of the 64-bit machines if there was any there to be had.

In the case of GraphicsMagick, this guy claims that the application has it's own swapping mechanism that kicks in when the memory runs out. If you hit that point, the performance will go to hell no matter how many bits you're using. The fact that the point where you exceed the address space is occurs much later, if at all, on a 64-bit machine will obviously affect the total performance but that's not because the 64-bit processor is any faster -- it's because the disk is orders of magnitude slower.

Of course, the original argument assumes you have more than 3GB available on the machine. Othwerwise, the O/S hits its limit and starts shuffling stuff off to disk anyway, and that's irrespective of the bit-width of the CPU.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.