Re: [tlug] Good compression image format

On 2008-06-06 14:42 +0900 (Fri), Hung Nguyen Vu wrote:

> The question is in the subject: What is the best image format if we want to
> optimize its size? PNG, JPEG 2000 or GIF?

It depends quite heavily on the contents of the image. For example, in
the typical case, a photograph will compress much better with JPEG, but
a computer-generated diagram will both compress better and look better
with PNG.

You probably don't want to use GIF; PNG does everything that it does,
and more. In particular, PNG has all of GIF's compression algorithms.

Incidently, if you want the ultimate in compression while maintaining
good image quality, you can change the input image to produce something
that looks the same or similar to the user while compressing better.

Oh, also, you should consider formats such as SVG (where you send the
"program" to generate the image, rather than the image itself) if your
technical requirements permit that.

cjs