[tlug] switch for small cluster

Hello,

we have a small cluster of opensuse machines (four - quad core, 8GB ram
boxes) connected by 1Gb ethernet using a cheap switch.
Now we would like to expand the cluster to some 32 machines or so.

The problem is, that we do not know, what kind of switches we will need.

Since the switches will be used in a cluster, we do not need any
software enhacements whatsoever. We just need pure speed. And in this
case I would say that the cheep switches would do the same service.

Could you please comment on this idea?

The cluster runs most of the time comercial software which as far as I
can tell uses some kind of finite volume calculations. Unfortunately, I
have no idea, how much will the network usage scale with number of
machines.

I am ready to provide more details if only I knou which :)

Best regards
Michal