Re: [tlug] government getting ready to inspect your iPod, laptop without probable cause

Just a thought:

One lesson I have taken to heart about openness with regard to
"structures" like O/Ses or work or research paradigms: openness is not
as simple as it looks :-) The consequences need to be thought through
just as carefully as non-openness; in particular, open structures
encur the obligation by those that wish to benefit from them to make
these structures robust against any form of attacks that can and will
be mounted against them. There are no secrets as such, robustness
should come about by making better use of available resources through
the benefits of said "structure". I'm sure something could be said
there about the winning of democracies over fascist or dictatorial
regimes, but I see it is not so much a matter of winning (growth?) but
of survival in the face of determined opposition.

I agree with Josh, everything should be encrypted, just so as to make
the entry bar for harassment higher.

Regards, Gernot