Re: [tlug] B Flets blocks port 25?

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:56:09PM +0900, Hung Nguyen Vu wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Then I check my yahoo.com and gmail.com emails: Mails are not delivered.
>
> And /var/log/maillog shows:
>
> May 29 12:50:31 aoclife postfix/smtp[20677]: connect to g.mx.mail.yahoo.com[
> 209.191.88.239]: Connection timed out (port 25)
> May 29 12:50:47 aoclife postfix/smtp[20746]: connect to
> alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[209.85.133.114]: Connection timed out (port 25)
>
> Is that my provider blocks port 25 and I can't send outgiong emails?

It's possible.  You can get postfix to use another port.  (I'm sorry,
I'm too sleepy to doublecheck where you do that, but I'm sure it's a FAQ
somewhere) to try to check it.  Otherwise, the most likely culprit is
DNS.

Another possibility is that if you don't have true reverse DNS working,
it won't go--in such cases, the best thing to do is use your ISP's smtp
server as relayhost.  (Some providers don't allow this, but in my case,
with Roadrunner, I am able to do it.  On the other hand, if I remember
correctly, you get a different sort of error in that case, so I'd put
that low on the list of possibilities.)

You can increase debugging as well, which is sometimes helpful.

(It's after midnight here, which is one reason I'm giving such
superficial answers--however, all of the possible problems I've
mentioned *should* be easily found by googling, along with possible
remedies. If nothing else, hopefully, I've given you some ideas of where
to start looking.)

These things can be aggravating--half the time, it's one line in main.cf
and it takes an hour of googling to find it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: Old reliable? Yeah, great. There's a sexy
nickname.
 Buffy: Well, I didn't mean it as...
Willow: No, it's fine, I'm Old Reliable.
Xander: She just means, you know, the geyser. You're like a
geyser of fun that goes off at regular intervals.
Willow: That's Old Faithful.
Xander: Isn't that the dog that the guy had to shoot...?
Willow: That's Old Yeller.
Buffy: Xander, I beg you not to help me.