Re: [tlug] XFS on MacOS X?

On Thursday 15 May 2008 06:37, David Shanahan wrote:
>A different issue but Leopard wont even run off a UFS partition
>anymore.

Did many people even run OS X on UFS? I first tried OS X when 10.1 came
out. And i tried installing it on UFS, (naively) thinking that since it
was a Unix system, a real Unix filesystem would be more appropriate.
But i quickly discovered a number of issues (which i don't recall very
clearly anymore--that was a few years ago), each of which on their own
were but minor annoyances, but taken together made me think that
although it technically *could* run on UFS, it really wasn't designed
to. I reinstalled with HFS+ and the little problems went away. I was
left instead with all the problems that 10.1 had regardless of how it
was installed. I think 10.0 was alpha quality, and 10.1 beta. 10.2 was
the first OS X i considered useable for regular use, with 10.3 being a
major improvement again.

These days i have a MacBook running OS X 10.4. But my desktop machines
run Debian Linux. I like in OS X how if you are doing something that
was considered by Apple, it works *really* well. Stray outside the
sandbox and it isn't quite as fun though. The experience doesn't
degrade nearly as quickly as on Windows, but that's not saying much.
For most things i still prefer Linux, primarily because i've got the
GUI configured in a way that is extremely efficient for me. One of
these days i'll buy a copy of OS X 10.5 and try out the "spaces"
virtual desktop feature; maybe i can approximate on OS X my environment
on Linux. It would take a lot of tweaking to get OS X to that point
though, and with each passing year i find my interest in endless
tweaking to wane just a little more.

Of course then there's the whole openness issue. I vastly prefer an open
source system. But i am not nearly as strongly opposed to proprietary
software as RMS; i don't mind using proprietary software when it is the
best tool for the job. I like my Mac for its Japanese support and for
video editing and managing my photos. I like Linux for everything else.