Re: [tlug] [off topic] religion and the internet in Japan

On Saturday 10 May 2008 06:47, shawn wrote:
>I stayed at a budget business hotel over Golden Week
>http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/ and found interestingly enough that the
>HOWTO for the room's internet connection was located on the shelf with
>the Bible and teachings of Buddha.

Seems logical enough. All offer a path to a source of information and
understanding greater than oneself.

I don't know about other people, but these days i consider the memory
inside my head to simply be a cache for all the information available
on the internet. If the internet ever dies i can relearn how to acquire
new information solely from physical print sources again, but for now
it is just too convenient. I know that for the vast majority of things
i don't know but want to know, i can simply consult the World Brain
(aka, Google) and have the answer. It isn't so great (yet) for quick
answers to deep philosophical questions, but those sorts of questions
tend not to have quick (nor definitive) answers anyway.