[tlug] Cleaning up the boot process

TLUG,

After upgrading to Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04), my laptop boot up seems to take a little longer. At least it feels that way.

What is definitely a fact is that the graphical boot process is interrupted and text output showing all the various modules being loaded comes up on the screen.

As it scrolls by, I can see some error messages come up. I'd like to clear them up. They don't seem to be making the system unusable or unstable, but if it could speed up the boot sequence, that would be worth it.

So I checked /var/log and thought that all the boot messages were stored in a file called 'boot". But in that file all it says is:

(Nothing has been logged yet.)

So my question is, where can I get the output of what happens during the boot process so I can start to identify any errors?

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G