Re: [tlug] HOWTO: Using Emobile Data Card D02HW (Huawei E220 HSDPA USB Modem) with Debian/Linux

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 08:22 +0200, Christian Horn wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 10:25:15PM +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > 3. connect
> >
> > by entering the following as root:
> >
> > /usr/sbin/pppd call emobile
>
> There is a nice shortcut:
>   pon emobile
> maybe its a debian-only-thing thou.
>
> > [...]
> >
> > 5. disconnect
> >
> > by killing the pppd process (for example with: killall pppd).
>
> Same here:
>   poff emobile
> or
>   poff -a
> (latter one killing all pppd-connections)
> work nice.
> Thanks for bringing the howto online,

Thanks :)

I also found plog to filter out pppd and chat messages
(it also accepts the -f option to follow new messages):

cat /usr/bin/plog
#!/bin/sh

if [ -s /var/log/ppp.log ]; then
  exec tail "$@" /var/log/ppp.log
else
  exec tail "$@" /var/log/syslog | grep ' \(pppd\|chat\)\['
fi

And all of them work from a normal user account so there is no need
to become superuser when connecting, following the log or shutting
down the connection.

Dietrich