[tlug] Mystery spreadsheet encoding

If you send a blank email to zaiko@example.com you get by return a .xls file which is supposed to be the inventory status of Appleone's jigsaw puzzles. But I can't open it in gnumeric or openorifice.org.wot.a.stupid.name. I fiddled around a bit with oooo's "encoding" options but couldn't unbake it.

Any suggestions on how to open it in Ubuntu, or expert advice on What's Really Going On??

Thanks

Brian Chandler