Re: [tlug] Ping vs www server

On 20/04/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Josh Glover writes:
>
>  > And I'm still not entirely convinced by your standards compliance
>  > argument; lots of network hardware no longer uses ICMP for flow
>  > control and routing,
>
> And some still does.  The Internet has grown as it has because of its
> consensus that standards-based implementations of implementation-
> proved standards is the way forward.
>
> The easy thing to do is for me to check that RFC 1122 has not been
> obsoleted.  Until it has been obsoleted, you manage rogue hosts by not
> supporting ICMP.

This was very insightful and provided much food for thought; cheers,
Steve. I'll certainly chew it over, and in the meantime stop advising
people to drop ICMP.

I'm not yet certain that I'm wrong, but I certainly ain't right.

You and Curt both taught me something that I did not know in this
thread, but while your 教え方 elicited this response, his earned him a
place of honour in my killfile.