Re: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks (was: linux: it's becoming ubiquitous)

今晩は,

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:03:25 +0900
"Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> On 31/03/2008, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:18:19 +0900 "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >  > I assume you are being a bit tongue-in-cheek here, but I'll bite. Like
> >  > Larry Wall says, laziness and hubris are virtues, if they motivate
> >  > people to be efficient and take pride in their work.
> >
> > If and only if they are motivated by their laziness/hubris/impatience.
> >  But as you know, most people are just simply lazy, without trying
> >  to improve their efficiency, hubris, whithout trying to be the best
> >  out there, impatience, whithout trying to get their tools do
> >  the work faster.
>
> I am not sure I agree, but that probably depends on your definition of
> "most". If you mean more than 50%, then I probably agree. If you mean
> more than 80%, I do not.

Here i'd say somewhere between 60% and 90%, probably rather in
the direction of 90%.

> I really believe that everyone is selfish (enlightened self-interest
> is still self-interest), and that strangely enough, that is not at all
> a bad thing.
>
> > Actually, i'm quite an optimist, but without the rose-coloured
> >  glasses. I know (or at least pretend that i know) that all good
> >  has its limits, that at some point the bad or even worse starts.
>
> Hrm... in my experience, only a small percentage of people are
> actually bad.

I didn't mean that people are bad (i've only met one guy
who i'd think has a truly mean/bad character), but rather
that everything has an end, especialy good things. Thus
i don't look at everything like it could never turn into
a bad situation/thing/whatever, but accept that it'll
change somewhen and won't be as good as it used to be.

> Most people simply are not very good at predicting (or
> understanding) the consequences of their actions in the
> extraordinarily complicated system that is the modern world, and that
> is the source of most of the bad stuff that humans do. And that leads
> me to...

Lacking of knowledge is one of the things that will lead
to the downfall of the world... in the worst case :)

> >  But anyways, what makes you think that "Common Wealth" is an
> >  excellent book? And why should i read it?
>
> Because it looks at the world as an extremely complicated system
> dominated by humanity, and advances the following argument:

[...]

Looks like a book i should have a look at.

> And now, to pull a Jonathan Byrne, Linux and Open Source are a major
> part of saving the world. Low cost tools and rapidly developed, high
> quality software will be needed, especially in the parts of the world
> that are currently not members of the Convergence Club.[1]
>
> [1] http://econ161.berkeley.edu/Econ_Articles/Dowrick/conv_club.html

I have to read that later.. it needs more time than i have here at work ^^'

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred