Re: [tlug] CAPTCHA on keitai

On 25/03/2008, Jason Hall <jason@example.com> wrote:

>  For the visual ones, I like the concept behind the system being used for
>  cleaning up unreadable scans of old texts. Two words are presented. One
>  is known to the system, the other is for the user to tell the system
>  what it says, when enough people agree, the answer feeds back to an OCR
>  project.

That is a pretty excellent example of systems thinking. With the Web
2.0 environment, it always pays to consider all of the potential
outputs of your business logic and the supporting infrastructure,
because you may be able to put them to use. Obviously Amazon (full
disclosure: I work for Amazon) has benefitted greatly from selling off
spare capacity in infrastructure with things like S3, EC2, SQS, etc.

This sort of thinking applied to physical engineering has some
wonderful conservation properties (e.g. trash-burning power plants, or
the mash left after ethanol fuel is refined being reused as a cheap
heat source, etc.).

--
Cheers,
Josh