Re: [tlug] Getting scim to work

Niels Kobschaetzki writes:

 > I had to copy /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to
 > ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc (before I used the wrong one) and had to put
 > the 4 lines from above (all starting with export) before the line that
 > states:
 >
 > # Run xfce4-session if installe
 > xfcesm='which xfce4-session' and so on...

Oh, this is so-o-o-o-o WRONG!

Mind you, I don't know what's *right*, but somebody oughtta pwnzr
freedesktop.org's NS and make the whole concept disappear from the
net.

Traditionally there were three ways of starting the X server: xdm,
startx, and xinit.  startx is the interactive command, xdm the X
Display Manager, and xinit is a program that manages a classic
Unix-style startup script.  If the file ~/.xinitrc exists it will be
used as the script, otherwise the command line argument to xinit is
used.

The normal tasks of xinit are simply to start the X server, run the
xinitrc script, and then kill the X server when xinitrc exits.  The
xinitrc is responsible for *everything else*.  In particular, it
starts the session manager (if there is one), the window manager
(there almost always is one), and optionally some default apps
(usually left up to the SM or the WM though).

Do you see how perverted it is for a WM to have a config file called
xinitrc?