Re: [tlug] Getting scim to work

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:45:06AM +0900, Josh wrote:
> On 22/03/2008, Niels Kobschaetzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:
>

> >  # Run xfce4-session if installe
> >  xfcesm='which xfce4-session' and so on...
>
> You can thank the OpenDesktop.org guys for the
> ~/.config/<app_name>/<config_file> pattern, IIRC. OpenBox uses it too,
> and I was pretty annoyed for the first hour of trying to configure it.
> Why the old UNIX convention of ~/.<app_name>[/<config_file>] was not
> good enough, I dunno...

Good question isn't it?  Someone wrote an article recently about how the
lack of standards was probably a factor in the hardware manufacturers
(and software ones) being reluctant to support Linux. Everyone has their
own idea of where to put things.

For example, Arch will put the ip command in /usr/local/sbin. So, if you
try to use parprouted to make a wireless VirtualBox machine to work, it
won't--because parprouted is looking for ip in /sbin, not /usr/sbin.

Etc.

Of course, in this case, as it's my beloved FreeBSD, I make the excuse
that I'm sure they didn't want to, but it's a third party port, not part
of the O/S.  :)

There is something to be said for the cathedral at times.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: Listen, I have this little project I'm working on, and I
heard you were the person to ask if...
Willow: Yeah, that's me. Reliable dog-geyser-person.