Re: [tlug] Who is www-data, and why do they want my CPU?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> sudo find / -follow -type f -name www-data

As far as I have read no one commented on this yet so I'll throw my 2 cents.

The above command will find the path to the supposed program called www-data.

In Ubuntu and probably in other distributions as well, www-data is the
user that Apache is setup to run as.  I have never seen a process
whose name is www-data so it might be that you meant that the owner of
the process is www-data.  You could check  which program it is by
using the utility "top" which is very useful.

top -u www-data

will show you interesting data on all processes that are owned by
www-data.  On my server it shows me a list of the default 10 apache2
processes.

Hope this helps,

Evan