Re: [tlug] Re: "Password on localhost"

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 02:38:41AM +0900, Brian Chandler wrote:
Josh Glover wrote:

<snipple snopple>

Printing. I think I understand* the Ubuntu no-root idea: just one password, which is mine to login, and also gives root permission for admin jobs.

Close enough. Sudo gives you administrative privileges for that one
command and will require your USER password. (vs a root password.)

As you're learning, that's enough of an understanding, just keep in mind
that it can be used for much more granular control if you wish.

But the problem is that while for most things "password" indeed
unlocks the door, in this case it simply doesn't (the password prompt reappears, states no message, just asks again). So I don't know if there's supposed to be another password somewhere...

Well, that's what we were discussing so cheerfully (honest!) last night.
It seems to be an apparent Ubuntu bug.

Well, I seemed to be making progress. My son put this computer together for me, and installed, Ubuntu, setting up a user called "Sir". I then added a user called brian (since that's me; historical explanation omitted). It appeared (the other day) that I needed to enter Sir's password for access to the CUPS stuff. I couldn't see how Sir was _distinguished_ in the users list, which left me puzzled. Worse (or better, depending on how you look at it), as far as I can see today, I can enter my own password and change the printer settings, so a different mystery.

Anyway, I am trying get printer sharing to work. I have two computers, Bowen and Chopin, on a LAN. Bowen (xubuntu) has a printer (which works), and access to the CUPS web interface, in which I have set the printer to "published". Do I understand correctly that this means "available to other computers on the LAN"?

Chopin is this Ubuntu box, and the (similar set of) gnome printer settings I have set to "Show printers shared by other systems". But I see no printers.

Is there something else I should need to do?

More generally, I've tried looking at the "Network" admin dialog boxes, but they are extremely terse. How can I tell whether anything is communicating? E.g. ping chopin says "unknown host", so perhaps not, yet.

Help! (Of course, a pointer to the best place to read about this is probably optimal.)

Thanks...
Brian Chandler