Re: [tlug] Bad BIOS

jep200404 wrote:
> So the BIOS chip is still socketed?

Actually, on closer inspection, it seems to be soldered right to the
board (http://wuts.nu/bios_chip.jpg). What I've seen online indicates
people with similar issues and the same board are swapping the chip out.
Is it different having come from Japan?

Keith wrote:
> If you are in Japan then ASUS has a Japanese subsidiary...

Called ASUS. They won't sell a replacement chip, say the update attempt
voided the warranty, and they'll fix it for about 7,000 yen. The board
was 10,000 yen new.

> Many of the newer motherboards can recover from a failed BIOS
update...

I tried every procedure I found in the manual and online. Nothing has
made any difference. The drive spins up and nothing happens, not even a
beep.

I'm beginning to think I may have to buy a new board, though maybe not
ASUS.

- Jason