Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

On 2/28/08, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> I think you and Steve are both talking about Freedom Zero: the ability
>  to control every aspect of your computing experience if you so choose.

I'll grant you that.  It works so many different ways too.  Do you know
how many XEmacs bugs I was able to diagnose because I had all
my system libraries compiled `-g'?

> I am not sure if Firefox's complexity has anything to do with the fact
>  that it is competing with [IE]. Firefox has far more features than
>  does IE; its complexity seems to stem from the Emacs-like desire to
>  offer developers Everything and the Kitchen Sink.

jwz said as much in the Netscape days.  Something like all applications
expand until they encompass email or something like that.

I'll offer respect to any web browser that does something sensible when
it is used as a login shell.  /usr/bin/xemacs *will* work as a login shell and
when I was Mr. XEmacs I tested explicitly that it stayed that way.[1]

Hmm, what was that you were saying about wanting to control every
aspect of your computing experience?  That, would be me ...

-sb

[1]  If you've ever had a live demonstration of TV Ramen's Emacspeak,
which translates text in emacs to speech you will understand why it is
so important to keep all your options open.  A decade ago, the internet
was a lot more accessible to the blind than it is now and I find that sad.