Re: [tlug] An old topic

> > Because it was "referenced material" (included from an external
> > source) and not part of a previous discussion on this list.

Precisely.

> So why is it that if we've seen the material before, we want to see it
> again before we see comments on it, but if we haven't seen the
> material before, we want to see the comments first, without their
> context, and then see the original material? That seems exactly
> backwards to me.

It seems perfectly normal to me.  Comments first provides some context
for the quotation to follow, and also help "prep" the reader or listener
to fully appreciate the material.  As an incorrigible "prefacer" myself,
both when writing and talking, to the point where sometimes, if the
listener is not accustomed to this style of discourse, they may have
some difficulty parsing the whole by the time I get to the punchline, I
understand the urge to "set up context" :-)

Dave