[tlug] SD card hardware detected, cards go unnoticed.

TLUG,

So I've had a little time to get to know my nifty Panasonic laptop with Ubuntu Gutsy installed.

Happily, most everything works, and works very well.

The only holdout is the SD card reader. I'm not too surprised. I've had lots of hassles with Ubuntu and SD card readers before.

So far as I can tell, it sees the SD card reader hardware (I'm guessing this is the SD card reader, because of the words "Card" and "SD" embedded in there):

$ lspci
CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c475 (rev 88)
System Peripheral: Ricoh Ltd RL5c475 SD Bus Host Adapter

But, when I put in an SD card, nothing comes up on the Desktop, there is no directory mounted in /media, and dmesg reports absolutely nothing to do with any cards being inserted or removed.

In short, the laptop seems to know there's an SD card reader there, but
doesn't know what to do with it.

I've looked for bug reports and suggestion on Google, but most people seem to report at least some action in the dmesg output. Since I'm not even getting that, I'm a little stuck.

Does anyone have any idea what I might try to diagnose the problem?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G