Re: [tlug] Installing Linux without a CD or DVD drive

Yoshiko, Dave B, Keith, Neils, Dave, Deeþan,

Thank you all for responding.

From what I see from the online instructions, a network install requires at least a floppy drive. The laptops I'm looking at don't have one.

I think that there's a good chance that the laptop I'm looking at might not boot from USB... but I can check that at the store.

Probably the most likely route is a CD drive that attaches by PC card - Keith, I might ask to borrow yours. But I'm going to see how much they cost. If they're cheap enough, I might just get one.

The laptop is recent enough to be running Windows XP. Is there really a chance that Linux won't isntall on it? I sort of assumed Linux could install on any reasonably recent computer.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G