Re: [tlug] Gentoo Binaries?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 11:43:47PM +0900, tlug@example.com wrote:
> On Friday 28 December 2007 21:18:12 Scott Robbins wrote:
> > (FWIW, OpenBSD's Japanese support isn't very good. The only things
> > offered are kinput2 and Canna and they often don't work.  Even the
> > message in the package collection for it mentions this.)  :)
>
> Speaking of Japanese support, it has been the source of my biggest problem
> with Gentoo...
>
> I require OpenOffice.org with Japanese support for my work.  Unfortunately,
> OpenOffice.org is a beast of an application, especially when working with a
> source based distro such as Gentoo.

I would at least give the binaries another shot--I can't believe they
wouldn't have language support.  If not, what about the lighter
alternatives, e.g., Abiword (for .doc type stuff.)

That's assuming you liked Gentoo enough to go through the trouble of
trying one of these.  (However, I would definitely avoid trying to
compile it--in FreeBSD, I go through the same thing--it's always a
gamble whether it will compile or not. )

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
shallow. Think of all the
poor people I could help with all my money.