Re: [tlug] IPv6 in Japan

On Nov 12, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:41:50PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Scott Robbins wrote:

We gaijin are curious, is it becoming popular in Japan? That is, if you
call the average provider, and say, by the way, do you have IPv6...

Not really. NTT is offering ("experimental," last I heard) native IPv6
to home users, but they sort of kill the whole point of the thing by
giving you a /128. (Yes, one single IPv6 address. And dynamically
assigned, no less.)

I have to agree with Curt about not really. IPv6 availability at the consumer level
is pretty abysmal. Some ISPs like OCN will give you an IPv6 allocation if you're
willing to pay a little extra per month although I imagine that is flying as well as
a pig with a pile of bricks attached to it.

It's actually quite a disappointment for me since I was hoping this supposed
IPv4 shortage in East Asia that I read about a few years ago would have had
the ISPs in Japan doing something wild like offering free IPv6 allocations to
customers if they wanted it but obviously that was a very naive view.

Alain