Re: [tlug] webcam

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:07:44AM +0900, emiddleton@example.com wrote:
> Well since you brought up Palantir.  Looking at your manual you use
> JPEG for the video streaming.  How much bandwidth does this use?
> For example, how much bandwidth would you need to run a 640x480 stream
> for something like a presentation?

It depends on the frame rate you want to achieve.  Conversely, you can
easily calculate the frame rate given the available bandwidth and the
average frame size.  (Of course the number of simultaneously streaming
clients must be taken into account, too.)

To be honest, however, I wouldn't consider live conferencing one of the
best applications for Palantir, especially if audio is involved.  Other
solutions which make use of inter-frame compression would be much more
efficient.

> Secondly, what is the delay like?

It depends on the client you use.  When viewing the stream with Firefox
(or another browser supporting the multipart/x-mixed-replace content
type), you might experience latencies up to seconds.  This will be
greatly reduced using one of the stand-alone clients.  (For a more
in-depth explanation, please see the man page.)

Cheers,
 David
--
 David Santinoli
 Tieffe Sistemi S.r.l.                      viale Piceno 21, Milano