Re: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

On 2007-11-26 12:01 +0900 (Mon), Jim Maricondo wrote:

> Exactly what you are looking for, the iLiad by iRex:
> http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/iliad

Except for the fact that it's US$700, which is twice the price of the
Word Gear. Ouch!

On 2007-11-26 12:36 +0900 (Mon), CL wrote:

> ...doesn't it highlight the fact that the Kindle and it's WiFi system
> are looking more and more like tied products?

The Kindle is not WiFi, it's cellular packet.

> I went back to look and don't see anything that says you can have an
> account with Amazon for book buying and either access their network
> nor download product to anything other than a Kindle. It doesn't look
> as though Irex or Kindle have a PCMIA slot, either, so a Tsunagihoudai
> type connection is also out as an option ...

Kindle does transfer content over a USB connection. But yes, Kindle's
content is in a proprietary format, so you'll only ever get stuff that
either Amazon sells or will convert for you. You can have them convert a
range of formats by mailing it to your kindle address (at Amazon), and
they'll convert it, send it to your kindle via the wireless connection,
and charge you a dime. Or you can do it for free, but they send it back
via regular e-mail and you have to transfer it via USB. PDF conversion
is still experimental.

Kindle is certainly not a very open system. On the other hand, it looks
to be pretty heavily subsidized, so this is not such a big surprise.

cjs
Starling Software     <office-admin@example.com>