Re: [tlug] FWIW: Google Japan Interview Experience

Hi,

On Nov 16, 2007 11:07 AM, Jim Maricondo <jimbocho@example.com> wrote:
--SNIP--
> Enduring 7 interviews (9 counting HR) over a 10-12 week period also is
> rather unacceptable.  Nowhere throughout the interview process can anyone
> tell you when it will end.  Or if they try to be nice and give you an
> estimate, it will be wildly off.  Nobody has any idea of what is going on or
> how long it will take.  Interviews take weeks to be scheduled, then
> cancelled the day before.  This enhances the candidate's feeling of being
> jerked around.  And after all that, your final answer?  "Your average scores
> are not high enough."  After 7 interviews and nearly 3 months, that's it?
--SNIP--

This is the standard process for Google. A friend from University
started working there (in Mountain View) about 2 years ago after
successfully surviving an ordeal like yours. After his last interview,
he thought they'd forgotten about him completely and was totally
surprised to one day receive a job offer.

Earlier this year my wife applied for a recruiter position with Google
in Singapore (we lived there at the time). She went through exactly
what you describe -- each interview was rushed with hardly enough time
for her to ask any questions due to the 30-minute time constraints.
Luckily she didn't get the job and got a transfer to Tokyo with her
company :)

I wonder if that is the best way to hire the best people? And also
that candidates are willing to endure this jerking around for a chance
to work at Google? I know I would put up with it :)

Mike