[tlug] Failing Update

Maybe a Newbie-grade Situation and Question

OS is Kubuntu 7.10

1. adept-updater says that updates are available so I log in
2. adept tells me that three packages are available for updating
3. I tell it to go ahead and make the updates
4. the update fails
5. when the machine is rebooted video has been reset to 640x480x16 from 1280x1024x32

I have tried running the updater a couple of times in automatic mode with the same result.

I got out the APT HOW-TO and followed the instructions for manual installation of updates from the console.

Part of the verbose output from an instruction of "apt-get -u upgrade" is as follows:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Err http://security.ubuntu.com gutsy-security/main smbclient 3.0.26a-1ubuntu2.1
403 Forbidden
Err http://security.ubuntu.com gutsy-security/main samba-common 3.0.26a-1ubuntu2.1
403 Forbidden
Err http://security.ubuntu.com gutsy-security/main libsmbclient 3.0.26a-1ubuntu2.1
403 Forbidden
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/samba/smbclient_3.0.26a-1ubuntu2.1_i386.deb 403 Forbidden
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/samba/samba-common_3.0.26a-1ubuntu2.1_i386.deb 403 Forbidden
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/samba/libsmbclient_3.0.26a-1ubuntu2.1_i386.deb 403 Forbidden
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

I ran "apt-get update" before and "apt-get autoclean" after so I do not think there are any leftovers to make trouble.

As far as I can tell, the respository is in the update path.

I can't find any other reason for the "403 Forbidden" result.

I have no idea why all of this keeps affecting my video settings (which is a Mitsubishi RDT1712V flat panel on an Intel 865 on-board video chip).

--
CL