Re: [tlug] Instructions for Attending the tech meeting in Second Life

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Edmund Edgar wrote:

OK, well if we liked the concept today we could come up with another way of
doing the sound in future; We don't necessarily have to use the Second Life
voice client - or indeed put the sound through SL at all.

Indeed. I'd suggest simply streaming the video and audio. We frequently do this at Japanese BSD user group meetings.

The other thing to think about if we do do this again would be making what
the speaker types into a terminal, and its output, appear in Second Life. Is
there some kind of  simple terminal/screen/shell-related witchery we could
use to capture whatever would normally be displayed in the presenter's
terminal in real-time so that we could send it to an object in-world?

It would probably not be too difficult to write shim program that would insert a pty between a user and a shell session, and siphon off the output to be sent somewhere else. Or possibly you could even configure Gnu Screen to do this for you.

However, I think that vnc would probably provide a better solution.

I guess I'm not really seeing what Second Life gets us over video
streaming, vnc for the slides and demos, and IRC or whatever for
feedback from the remote people.

cjs