Re: [tlug] A Swap Question

2007/11/6, Jason Hall <jason@example.com>:
> > Is there any reason that it would be bad, or less efficient to use a
> > larger partition for swap?
>
> For 1G or more of RAM. I allocate 512M of swap. Even still, I never see
> servers or workstation use much of it at all. I think the whole swap
> concept was much more important when computers had just a few megs of
> RAM to work with.
>
> - Jason

Swap size can not be decided before running the system. It is
different from system to system, and the size of it is best defined by
experiments.

When I install a Linux, it will complain me it I don't create a swap
partition. But I am sure it will be fine if I don't have one.

On my small-sized, low traffic home server with 1GB of RAM, I create
just 512MB of swap but never see stresses on my server.

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu