Re: [tlug] ftp client for linux [C&C][1]

2007/10/30, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:

> Well, the GNU Project has no such "sane is beautiful" philosophy.
> That's why it lists "Emacs" is one of its earliest and most important
> components, and why it lent its name to the GNUMB (sp? ;-) project.

The GNU Project started in more than 20 years ago. I was soo innocent.
Look at what the GNU Project have done so far, it is a beauty, isn't it?

Gnome as a part of freedesktop.org has showed that it is better than Qt/KDE.
A "G" prefixed world of course better than the "K" one. I mean "G" is
not driven by any company.

> In fact, I think that GNU code runs to bloat for the same reason that
> Microsoft's does: the more features you pack in, the more users you
> can lock in.

うんと I've read in your previous email that this is a strategic
trick:First get the market and make a brand name. What is the
connection between Gnome and GNU?

> Yes, it's one reason, but I think that the politically-driven design
> decisions are far more important.
Today I have run emacs 23.0 under X ( a little old cvs version ) and
saw that emacs seems doensn't  wants arguments(!!!!) [ --version
doesn't work], and to make things worse: The first page is divided
into 2 parts: The upper part is the content of the file we are open
and the bottom shows the "bullshit" :D. But fornunately, we can turn
that bullshit off by ticking a checkbox.

Appealing is a good/right thing to do and I am fine with the current
feature of emacs ( turn off the bullshit at its first boot ).

> The reason for not using Emacsen as a sysadmin isn't size, IMO, it's
> security.  A full Emacs implementation basically is a scripting
> language which emulates an operating system, with a huge set of
> accompanying utilities, all of which need to be audited and nobody
> ever has done so.
Sounds interesting.
# My レポート on Lisp programming was given a "B" :D.
# Probably I have no 縁 with Lisp.

> Footnotes:
> [1] Or am I overestimating myself again?
I triggered this C&C...

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu