Re: [tlug] Culture of Chinese Diaspora

2007/10/27, jep200404 <jep200404@example.com>:
> Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
>
> > I think 孔子 is the one to praise for keeping Chinese and unchanged.
> > When they come to another country, they bring their language, food and
> > culture with them. They are "strong opinion" - like us  :P - and they
> > think it is OK not to be changed ( or to adapt ) anywhere, anytime.
>
> Chinese food here is highly localized (Americanized).
> Josh can confirm this.
> It even varies according to what part of town one is in.

Are you talking about Tokyo or New York?

> If you were Chinese and went to rural Minnesota years ago,
> you'd likely pick up a Scandinavian accent.
I think it is true. After spending the first year in Tokyo learning
basic Japanese, I went to Hokkaido. I was the only gaijin in my class
and all of my classmates are Japanese. Of course, the only way to
communicate with them is Japanese and Japanese related topics. Foreign
food, cultural differences at first were hot topic but it run out
after few months.

It also holds for another example: Tlug is a group of people speaking
English in Tokyo. We are here because we share same language and the
same culture ( open source ? ).

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu