[tlug] Samba and licensing

Interesting article in the Fedora weekly.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue105

Samba is going to use GPLv3 and KDE doesn't.  So, at present, it's going
to be a conflict, It's about 1/4 down the page, under the heading

Samba: The GPLv3 License Dance Begins

I remember a book from around 2000, by a Windows expert who wrote a book
for Windows admins interested in Linux.  One of the advantages he
mentioned was licensing and how complex MS licensing was.

I don't know if it's just my ignorance of the situation, but it seems
that some of the GPL licensing is become as restrictive as some of the
commercial licenses, despite the fact that it is free of charge.

It strikes me as something that, from an advocacy standpoint, is very
bad.  As it's still an MS world, and KDE is one of the popular ways to
help people make the adjustment, and samba is a way for them to continue
using MS files, as well as its importance to various Unix and Unix like
system file servers, I think that this will hinder growth.

Hopefully, that's just my ignorance of the entire situation, but it does
seem that the ones who will be most affected will be the end users.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Wesley: The Council's orders are to concentrate on the...
Buffy: Orders. I don't think I'm going to be taking any more
orders. Not from you, not from them.
Wesley: You can't turn your back on the Council.
Buffy: They're in England. I don't think they can tell which way
my back is facing.