Re: [tlug] ClamAV

On 10/12/2007, "CL" <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

>in my search to remove my newbiosity. I am victimizing myself with
>Kubuntu 7.04.

Kubuntu 7.10 release candidate is out, if you want to further victimize
yourself ;)

>I can install the base packages of ClamAv v0.90.2 (anti-virus) and KlamAv
>v0.41 (KDE front end). I can configure and run those versions and update
>the AV database. But get told that both are out of date and that I
>should update to v0.91.2 and v0.41.1, respectively. When I do so,
>installation fails.

You're probably on reasonably safe ground to ignore those warnings,
since:

-Linux distributors often backport patches, so they may or may be
actually out of date
-That doesn't mean "out of date" the way an out-of-date signatures
file is out of date. It just means there's a newer version; if that
newer version doesn't contain critical bug fixes (do check), you're
probably OK (note: if there is a critical bug fix, the *ubuntu team will
either upgrade the version or backport the bugfix, so as long as you do
regular updates, you should be OK for anything critical)

>I have tried to reinstall cpp and gpp using apt but it makes no
>difference. I am not finding anything else in the Debian Reference that
>seems to be an appropriate work around.

I'm inferring from this that you're trying to build .deb source
packages under Kubuntu? That may or may not work smoothly, since they
may have different version dependencies, etc. If this is what you're
doing, where did you get the packages/which Debian version are they
for/what are the package names?

Or are you building from source tarballs?

WRT Firestarter, I've never used it, but isn't it just a frontend for
iptables, producing an iptables script that runs at startup?

Linux firewalls are good bit different than what you may be thinking of
as a firewall if you're coming from a non-*nix background. The firewall
itself is really iptables and you can think of it as being always
running. Whether it's actually doing anything or not depends on whether
it has been given any operating rules. Those rules can either be written
by hand in a text editor, or built using a graphical frontend (of which
Firestarter is probably one such beast).

That said, I'll leave determining whether or not Firestarter is actually
leaving you with a functioning set of iptables rules to someone familiar
with it :)

Jonathan