Re: [tlug] FYI - Typing macrons, etc., in X apps

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 04:11:00PM +0900, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> The main problem I was bumbling around trying to get past was what
> to use as a "Compose" key (or I guess it's sometimes called
> "Multi_Key") on my machine, which is a MacBook with a Japanese
> keyboard. So it lacks a right-Ctrl key, right-Alt, right-Win (or
> even right-Command) and pretty much every other key that the
> various how-to guides I found say are normally by default as the
> Compose key.

Thank you for this.  I think I'll actually add it to my Japanese in
Linux page as it can be useful for romaji.  (I prefer using the actual
vowel rather than, for example ō as it makes it clearer to we gaijin if
you should be using Oo as in Oosak or ou as in you (sono yō ni).

A couple of alternatives if you're not using KDE or another Desktop
environment that allows you to set the multikey.

To use, for example, the right Windows key for all users as your compose
key, add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Option "XkbOptions"  "compose:rwin"

That will make the right hand Windows key (on a PC keyboard) the compose
key.

To make the menu key, (to the right of the right Windows key), one can
create a $HOME/.xmodmaprc file and add

keycode 117 = Multi
Then run

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

As you say, this can be found in the Compose section (you'll note they
list the <Multi_key> in several definitions.)  (That might be in
different locations--for example, in FreeBSD, it's in
/usr/local/lib/X11/locale).

Also as you say, quite easy once you know how.

Thanks again.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: You won. Alright?  You came in and you killed them,
and you took their land.  That's what conquering nations do.  It's
what Caeser did, and he's not going around saying I came, I conquered,
I felt really bad about it.