Re: [tlug] Where can I buy Debian CDs in Tokyo?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:59:48, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
> You could probably get something in a computer magazine - most likely
> on a DVD disk.  But you can typically get a "bulk" DVD-R/RW drive for
> about Y5,000, so it might not be a bad idea to put one in your
> computer.  That's assuming it's a full-sized drive though - the thin
> type drives (which are in not only in laptops, but increasingly in
> small production boxes) seem to go for at least twice that.

Ah, this is a laptop I bought for \9800. Not really willing to put another
\10000 into it just for a DVD drive. Nobody seems to be selling the CDs,
just DVDs, so I guess I'll just burn the first dozen discs or so and go
from there.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:25:01, Edward Wright wrote:
> You don't need all those discs... only the first 1 or 2.
> The others are all additional software. If you decide you need something
> from one of them you could get it later...

I know I can just install from just the first disc, but it's pretty
annoying to download packages on another computer and then install them
via a USB flash drive or whatever... I ran into precisely this problem
before back in the US, nobody sells Debian CDs there anymore either. I
burned the first 8 discs but still ended up having to install a hundred
extra packages that weren't on those discs.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:26:41, Charles Muller wrote:
> If you are not successful in finding a seller, I'm willing to burn a
> basic set for you and send/hand them over. Are you anywhere near
> downtown?

Thanks, but I already found someone to burn (some of) it for me. Anyway,
I'm surprised you don't know where Shinjuku is! Depending on your
definition of downtown, Shinjuku is either right in the middle of it,
or pretty close. =^D

Thanks for the help everyone!