Re: [tlug] Where can I buy Debian CDs in Tokyo?

On 9/16/07, Christopher Cramer <tsuyoshi@example.com> wrote:
> I just bought a computer and I would like to install Debian on it. It
> has only a CD drive and no DVD drive (and no ethernet either... I don't
> intend to connect it to the internet at all). I could possibly go to
> a manga cafe and download/burn all the discs, but there are 21 discs so
> it would take quite a while to do that.
>
> So does anyone know of a place that sells Debian on CD in Tokyo? I live
> in Shinjuku, but I am willing to go anywhere in Kanto to get this.

You could probably get something in a computer magazine - most likely
on a DVD disk.  But you can typically get a "bulk" DVD-R/RW drive for
about Y5,000, so it might not be a bad idea to put one in your
computer.  That's assuming it's a full-sized drive though - the thin
type drives (which are in not only in laptops, but increasingly in
small production boxes) seem to go for at least twice that.  I got one
with decent specs for about Y12,000, and another one that is DVD
playback only (fine for loading software) and CD-R/RW for about
Y8,000.  All of the DVD drives I've bought were acquired in Akihabara.

Lyle