Re: [tlug] A place to connect my laptop

Joe, Curt, TLUG,

Thank you guys for the advice and offers of help.

Joe, thank you so much for your offer, and I may just take you up on it.

But, before I do, I'm going to follow through on some ideas presented here and offlist. Just, you know, 'cause I think it's better to try and not be intrusive on other people if possible, even when they're nice enough to offer.

First, I got a wireless card, and I was advised off-list that it might be worth checking to see if there might be a wireless network near enough my apartment that I could, you know... just kind of go with for the time being. I feel a little guilty about that though... Should I feel guilty? Are people with non-secure connections letting them be used, or is Curt talking about something else with "open connections"?

Step two is to maybe sign on for one of the WiFi services like M-Zone or Yahoo's BB Mobile Point. I talked to the services today, and it's only 1500 yen for a month. But it's unclear whether or not the software that lets you log in can only work with Windows, or if it can be done within Linux wireless network settings. I'm still kind of warm to the idea of having a nice Tully's coffee while I ride out my fiber optic down time.

Step three then is a toss up between Internet cafe with my own laptop, or imposing on Joe's good nature. On the one hand, the Internet Cafe is just down the road from me. But on the other hand, as I write this, there are some seriously creepy "net-cafe nan-min" around, and I can't shake the idea that this seat I'm currently in has seen a lot of manga-porn action. I know, I'm a whiner.

In any case, you guys provided the advice I was looking for to help me sort out what to do, and went over the top with some really helpful offers.

Thanks, as always, for your support.

--
Dave