Re: [tlug] New computer parts - Video

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:52:10 +0900, Jason Hall <jason@example.com> wrote:

Thanks for the info. I still don't know what to do about video though.
Nobody replied about that one.
Original video question:
It must run 2 19" LCD monitors (that have both VGA and DVI connectors).
I don't run games though so don't need the best and fastest graphics,
though I do intend to edit some home video.

Would I be better off with 2 identical video cards with VGA/DVI
connections or a single card with 2 connectors? (Ideally I'd like to
have the option to run VGA if necessary.)

A single card with 2 connectors.

Back when I built my system I installed an "ASUS V9520 Video Suite" card.
It runs an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 chip and has two DVI-I ports.
This is old hardware now but it runs two 17" flat panel displays well. Newer cards will have no problems with 19".
Set up wasn't difficult using the NVIDIA drivers for linux and editing xorg.conf to use NVIDIA's "twin view".

DVI-I ports are fairly standard on most video cards I think. The nice thing is they let you run DVI flat panels by direct connection to the video card and VGA monitors by adding an adaptor. (My card came bundled with 2 adaptors)

I hope this helps.

Greg Thomson

--

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows or gates?
-Graham Williams