[tlug] Installing Gentoo - blocked packages

TLUG,

I'm trying out Gentoo, but I'm having some issues with installation,
and I was hoping for the advice of a veteran Gentoo user or two.
(newbie disclaimer)

I am using a LiveCD and using the GUI installer.  I use all of the
default settings (for now), and everything runs along smooth until I
get to the package merging.

Run both with vanilla sources and with the kernel on the LiveCD (I
tried both), I get the following fatal error:

------snip------

Error: the >==sys-fs/udev-089 package conflicts with another package;
the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

It seems to be an issue with either udev-089 or coldplug, and that
they are blocking one another?  The installation fails when emerge-ing
sys-apps/coldplug-20040920-r1.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this sort of situation?  May be
difficult to address, as I am running everything pretty standard off
the LiveCD.

Cheers,

Mark