RE: [tlug] Re: [CoLoCo] RESPECT MICROSOFT

Interesting, but there are a couple of nits I'd like to pick.

burlingk@example.com writes:

 > This means that in order to get to the lead, we have to move
 > past Microsoft.

Well, no.  We can listen to what people tell Microsoft when asked
"where do you want to go today?", then go somewhere else.  That's what
Mozilla and Apache did for many years until eventually Microsoft
learned that they would have to compete on the web's terms (to some
extent, anyway).

 > [DRM] is not something that the OS just magically decides to apply.

Ah, true at the moment, but that is not true of all forms of DRM.
Some of the proposals for DRM, if enacted, would require that the OS
buy into patented technology (with "fair and nondiscriminatory"
royalties), effectively shutting out open source OSes.