Re: [tlug] copyright and theft [was: unicode font with czech ...]

On Thursday 16 August 2007 16:51:02 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> If the first thing you do is stick in a Knoppix disk, it isn't a
> contract, and nothing can make it one.  The only protection the
> preinstalled bits on the disk have is copyright law.

Some years ago I bought a Thinkpad X31.  I tried to get IBM (it was before
they sold to Lenovo) to give me one without Windows, but they would not do
it.  The machine does not have a CD/DVD drive, so the machine didn't even
come with a Windows XP install/restore disk.  All I received from paying the
Microsoft tax was a sticker and some bits on the hard drive.  I never booted
the preinstalled system, but I did mount it before wiping it.  The fonts were
the only thing I could think of that was worth backing up.

I fully understand copyright law.  You may notice in my original comment that
I made no mention of using said fonts on Linux...  I have never used those
fonts, actually, and I like to keep my Linux systems "clean" anyway.

My point was that the Microsoft fonts are the most valuable part of an entire
Windows install.  I was forced to pay for Windows in order to get the laptop
that I wanted, and I was pretty angry at the state of the computer industry
for allowing Microsoft to force their software on manufacturers in ways that
I think should be illegal.  I didn't even get an install DVD after forking
over my quid...  I wanted to get *something* from it aside from a lousy
sticker... ;)

Cheers, Travis