Re: [tlug] RESPECT MICROSOFT

On 12/08/07, Phillip Tribble <phillip.tribble@example.com> wrote:

> "Jim Zemlin (executive director for the Linux Foundation) gave a talk at
> LinuxWorld saying that the open source community should stop poking fun
> at Microsoft: 'This also requires that the Linux community respects Microsoft
> rather than ridicule it. "There are some things that Windows does pretty well,"
> Zemlin said. Microsoft for instance has excelled in marketing the operating
> system, and has a good track record in fending off competition.'/--

This all smacks of reason to me. What specifically do you disagree
with? That Microsoft has not succeeded in marketing their OSes? That
Windows sucks at *everything*?

Sun Tzu has some interesting things to say about respecting one's enemies, IIRC.

And to quote Mark Shuttleworth (thanks, Lyle!),

"There is a danger in the fact that many of the people who are
passionate about Linux, are really passionate about their opposition
to the status quo... because the question arises - when the status quo
changes, what will bind us together. And, ah...  So I think my focus
is very much on promotion of what is good about this software."

> I think it is time for Linux crush micsrosoft! Any takers?

Why bother? Google and Co. have already crushed Microsoft; it will
just take 10 years for that to become evident.

Phillip, I really think that posts like this hurt the Linux cause. I
guess you disagree, but at least think about it. The business world
takes thoughtful commentary like Zemlin's much more seriously than it
does Slashdaughter ravings.

--
Cheers,
Josh