Re: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

On 10/08/07, Marty Pauley <marty.pauley@example.com> wrote:

> I use uim with anthy.  From the other replies, it seems like a popular choice.

scim with PRIME here (and Яаверты for my Cyrillic needs).

> I had a look at scim because it had some good publicity and Ubuntu
> picked it for the default.

Oops... you probably have certain TLUGgers to blame for that. Mark
Shuttleworth came to Tokyo and had a brainstorming / Q&A session with
some members of the Japanese Linux press and community, and a few of
us (Edward, Kevin/Alain, Lyle, and myself; seems like I am forgetting
someone) went. We stressed that for Ubuntu to take off in Japan,
Japanese input had to Just Work, and we recommended scim at the time,
since it seemed to Just Work more than any other IME, in a truly m17n
environment.

> But I found it to be over-complicated.

Agreed. scim is lovely when it Just Works, but it is a real PITA to
debug when it doesn't.

> And having to kill and restart some daemon when I tweaked the config
> was the last straw.

:(

> uim with anthy is simple and fast.

Is anyone on the list using uim with a Cyrillic input method
(preferably YAWERTY)? Does it work nicely?

Be there PRIME for uim? I cannot go back to Anthy after getting used
to an input method that learns how I type. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh