Re: [tlug] Email issues

On Aug 7, 2007, at 23:24, tlug@example.com wrote:

Yes, I experience similar issues occasionally. For example, yesterday I sent
three emails at the following times: 19:48, 19:56, and 20:08. The last two
went through immediately, and I received the first one a while later.

Which is rather what you would expect given our greylisting implementation. The first caused hikari to note your sending host, but hikari defers accepting the message. The next two go through immediately because your host is in the greylist database. Your server gets around to retrying the first message 30 minutes after the first attempt and it goes through.

The worst I have experiences was a whole day delay. I sort my TLUG folder by
date, and sometimes when a message has been delayed significantly, I have to
scroll my message list quite a bit to find it.

I've not seen that big of a delay... but just scanning through the greylist I see your mail actually arrives from more than one IP address, which could impose delays on each.

So, I checked out the email headers and see that the delay took place between
my host's postfix server and the hikari exim server. From what I can tell,
the exim server gets overwhelmed at times and does not accept email
temporarily.

While that is certainly possible (there are safeguards on number of accepted incoming connections and server load), I think greylisting accounts for the delay.

Jim

-- Jim Tittsler http://www.OnJapan.net/ GPG: 0x01159DB6 Python Starship http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/ Mailman IRC irc://irc.freenode.net/#mailman