Re: [tlug] Apple owns CUPS

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:09:41 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> That's right.  You own the media, and under copyright law unless you
> signed a contract limiting the term, your right to use and transfer
> *that copy* is perpetual (ie, until it breaks).  However, the license
> to copy lasts only as long as the copyright holder grants, and the
> GPLv2 says nothing about it.  This is one of the main reasons why the
> GPLv2 is considered a pretty mediocre piece of legal writing by many
> competent lawyers, as I understand it.  That's why the GPLv3 *does*
> say something about it.

Oops... I didn't know that the US copyright law is defined this
way. The Swiss copyright law[1] is very strict what a copyright
holder may do after he sold/gave away his art work. A withdraw
of the license is pretty much impossible unless the license terms
contain such a clause from the beginning and even then it might
not always be legal. The only big exception a copyright holder/creator
has something to say about his work is when and how it will be
shown to public. This is mainly made for professions like
architects or painters whose income is directly proportional
to their fame which can only be build by publicly showing their
work in its original state. Ie an architect can state that a building
he has designed may not be changed for some years, or a painter
can object that his picture is taken out of an originaly public
galery and goes to a private gallery. But even for those exceptions
there is an upper time limit until when the copyright holder/creator
may have a say.

				Attila Kinali

[1] Actualy it's not copyright law, but a creators right law.
Thus it doesn't handle what you may do with your copy, but what
the rights and obligations the creator has and which and to what
extend these rights can be passed to other people. Biggest difference
to US copyright might be that a creator cannot sell his basic rights
on a work to anyone under any circumstances.
Most countries in Europe, especially the EU have similar laws.

                         -- Deed of Morred