Re: [tlug] [OT] Hosting at Home in Japan is legal?

On 7/27/07, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
Pietro Zuco wrote:
> I wonder if there are some kind of legal implications in Japan to have
> my own server at home to serve my own web page. I do not put any illegal
> content. I don't know how much paranoid or restrictive can be law here
> about that.

Who is your ISP and what is in their service agreement, that will
probably be the biggest issue.  Lots of people in Japan host from home.
  I have not heard of there being any legal impediment to doing this.
The major difference is that domestic service agreements don't guarantee
service availability.

Your standard business connection will be "best effort" anyway. If you want better than this you will need to pay for it, and the difference in price is drastic. In my experience most smaller office sized businesses go for your standard business "best effort" type service.

Regards, Keith