Re: [tlug] [C&C] AAC is lossy, FLAC is lossless

On 24/07/07, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

Joe Bob User's friend in Google Korea obviously doesn't know that Ogg
Vorbis isn't a codec :)

Ah yes, right you are. Sorry about that.

Back to the main question, though, about what the best lossless audio
format is for conversion to codec-du-jour as said codec-du-jour evolves
over time. How about audio CD? Okay, it means ripping stuff off the CDs
again next time round, but how often does this happen?

Well, you are overlooking a common problem in Japan: no room to store physical media. My USB hard drive has a much higher data density than a giant stack of CDs or DVDs.

However, how do
you know that your HD won't fail between now and next time you need to
re-encode your audio stuff? Will .wav still be supported then? Will your
HD's interface for that matter?

1. Failure: I back up. This is the itch that my s3fs-jmglov project is meant to scratch, actually. I want to pay Amazon[1] a pittance to store my data for me, but I don't want them peering inside.[2] 2. WAV being supported: Open Source tools mean that file formats are "supported" for as long as I keep the source around. 3. My HDD's interface: see (1), but also realise that I can still get data off an old XT drive if I have the need. Electronics exist to convert nearly any crappy interface to a newer one. Just ask Jim Blackson. ;)

Cheers,
Josh

[1] Full disclosure: I work for Amazon.
[2] Of course "they" won't, but some people might have the ability to,
and why "trust" any big corporation with your data when you don't have
to? I use crypto with Gmail as well.